Limerick and Calgary University student Fiona Doyle achieved a life time’s ambition at the World University Games by qualifying for the 2016 Olympic Games. Swimming in the second semi-final of the 100m Breaststroke Doyle’s time of 1:07.67 was 0.18 of a second within the Olympic qualifying mark. Doyle will now swim her final on Monday morning 11.52 Irish time in the same event in which she won a silver medal at the 2013 Kazan World University Games.
In brief, on what was an extremely busy day for Team Ireland students:
- The Men’s Football Team took a commanding position in Group D with brilliant 1-0 win over China. IT Carlow’s Eric Molloy scored the decisive goal in the 43rd minute after a period of sustained Irish pressure. The Irish lads next face Russia in their third and last group game on Tuesday morning Irish time.
- In Archery John Smith lost out by one millimetre in a one arrow shoot out in the compound shot elimination round. Smith recovered from a slow start to finish tied on 143 after 10 arrows but then agonisingly lost out to his Slovakian opponent by the slimmest of margins in the one arrow shootout
- Back in the pool Sycerika McMahon (Texas A & M) and Jordan Sloan (UU) progressed from the morning’s heats of the 100m Breaststroke and the 200m Freestyle before being placed 14th and 16th respectively in the evening semi-finals; unfortunately neither progressed to the final of their event
- Grainne Murphy (UL) swam in the morning heats of the 1500m freestyle and is first reserve for tomorrow evening’s final.
Day 3, Monday, 6th July, is also an extremely busy day for Team Ireland with students competing in Archery, Judo, Swimming and Women’s Football (All Irish times).
- Archery: NUIG’s Darren Wallace shoots in the Recurve Elimination round (1am)
- Judo: Queen’s Eoin Fleming competes in the -73kg category (1am)
- Swimming: In the morning heats UCD’s Shani Stallard and Sycerika McMahon swim in the 200m IM, Dan Sweeney (Loughborough) and Nicholas Quinn (Edinburgh) swim in the 200m Breaststroke while Jordan Sloan (UU) swims in the 50m Backstroke (11.30pm Sunday). And the big swim – the 100m Breaststroke Final with Fiona Doyle going for gold at 11.52am.
- Women’s Football: The Women’s Football Team play hosts South Korea in the third and last of the group stage games needing a big win to give themselves an outset change of reaching the quarter final stage.