The Games are second only to the Olympics in participating numbers and size, and similar to the Olympics the World University Games is the only other international competition where Irish students compete as part of a multi-sport team.
Many of our Irish sports stars first tasted international glory at the World University Games before going on to have brilliant sporting careers. These include Ronnie Delaney (Gold in 1961); Sonia O’Sullivan and Gary O’Toole (both Gold in 1991), Derval O’Rourke (bronze in 2005), Fiona Doyle (Silver in 2013, and Silver and Bronze in 2015) and Thomas Barr (Gold in 2015).
Could 2017 be your year?
2017 World University Games
The 29th World University Games will be hosted by the city of Taipei, Taiwan from the 19th – 30th August. To view the sports programme and competition schedule follow this link: 2017 Sports Programme.
We expect that a team of approximately Irish 90 students and support staff will travel to the Games with students possibly competing in archery, athletics, diving, football (men’s and women’s), golf, judo and swimming.
Students seeking to be considered for selection for the 2017 World University Games are requested to submit the following documentation in HARD COPY by post to the Student Sport Ireland office by the 28th February 2017. Only under exceptional circumstances will students who have not registered by this date be considered for selection for the Games.
- 2017 WUG Student Nomination Form (with briefing note)
- FISU Academic Eligibility Cert
- Official Coloured Passport Photos (x 2)
- Passport Page Photo (1 copy)
Students please note that:
- You will be asked to resubmit the Academic Eligibility Form if section 2:
- is signed by anyone else other than the Registrar’s office
- is not signed by the Registrar’s Office
- is not stamped by the Registrar’s Office
- Section 3 of the form to be left blank so that it can be signed by the SSI office
- Registration with SSI does not in any way guarantee that you will be selected to compete at the Games
All queries or requests for clarification can be forwarded to the Student Sport Ireland office.