Benefits of SSI Membership
As the governing body for third level sport in Ireland Student Sport Ireland works in partnership with national and international bodies identifying pathways for college communities to participate, compete and develop through sport and physical activity. Its mission is to promote and develop third level sport in Ireland.
Third level institutions from throughout the island of Ireland who offer FETAC Level 6 programmes or above are eligible to affiliate to SSI. The Association is governed by a Board of management appointed at the Association’s annual general meeting.
The Association employs two full time staff, based at Irish Sport HQ, National Sports Campus, Blanchardstown, Dublin and whose work is guided by the Board and the Association’s strategic plan.
Third level institutions from throughout the island of Ireland who offer FETAC Level 6 programmes or above are eligible to affiliate to SSI.
Member institutions pay an annual affiliation fee to avail of the services, and the accompanying benefits, on offer from the Association. The fee charged to individual members is depended on the number of full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students attending the institution.
In brief the services offered by the Association include:
- Coordination and administration of the domestic sports competitions including the multi-sport SSI Leagues and Finals days which facilitate third level students’ participation in competitive competition within their chosen sport;
- Coordination of the participation of third level athletes and teams in International University competitions including European and World University Competitions (European University Championships, World University Championships and World University Games);
- Coordination of the annual SSI Networking buycialisquality.com Event to facilitate sharing of information, best practice and networking opportunities between third level representatives, NGBs, the Irish Sports Council and Sports Northern Ireland;
- Facilitate sharing of information via Committees, working groups, the SSI web site and email networks;
- Development of guidelines and resources in relation to third level competitions (e.g. eligibility guidelines, rules and regulations and event and hosting).
- Coordination of annual Intercollegiate Events of the Year to acknowledge well organised student events;
- Facilitate the drafting and implementation of a strategic plan to increase levels of participation in sport and physical activity in third level sport in Ireland;
- Represent, lobby and influence national and international organisations to promote and develop third level sport in Ireland.
4. Benefits: In brief the benefits of SSI membership include:
- The opportunity for students to participate in competitive well organised competitions across 10 individual sports;
- The opportunity for elite athletes to represent their colleges and county in international university competitions;
- Recognition of the work of member institutions intervarsity organising committees via the annual Intercollegiate Events of the Year awards;
- The opportunity for member representatives to share information and best practice and influence policy during SSI Committee meetings and annual networking events;
- Facility for members to receive/circulate information from/with members institutions, NGBS and other sporting bodies via theSSI web site and emails networks;
- Opportunity to inform and guide the work and activities of the Association through membership of the SSI Board, Committees and working group;
- Facility to influence local and national sports and physical activity policies through SSI’s lobbying and representation activities.