GMIT dig deep to see off IT Tralee in Tier 3 Men's Rugby Final

GMIT dig deep to see off IT Tralee in Tier 3 Men’s Rugby Final

April 15, 2016  |  News  |  Share


Galway Mayo IT 35

IT Tralee 22

Galway Mayo IT (GMIT) were crowned SSI & IRFU Men’s Rugby Tier 3 Cup Champions after they overcame IT Tralee in a fascinating game of rugby in Limerick IT on Wednesday afternoon last.

In almost ideal conditions for rugby under the eye of Thomand Park both sides produced their best on the big day as the lead swung one way and then the other in a very exciting contest. IT Tralee were out of the blocks quicker with second row Harry Conan crashing over for the game’s opening try which was converted by James Guinan.

GMIT got off the mark with two penalties nailed between the posts by the impressive out half Philip Noone. With the wind in their backs however IT Tralee were dominating territory and ran in two tries in the space of fives minutes with scrum half Cathal Hennessy touching down and Harry Conan crossed the whitewash for his second try of the game to give the Munster college a 17-6 lead. Crucially the final score of the opening half fell to GMIT with centre Matt Quinn finishing a nice move with a try to send the sides to the break with IT Tralee leading 17-11.

With the wind in their backs in the second half GMIT set about further reducing the lead right after the break and they were dually rewarded when full back Ross Maxwell got in for a try and when Philip Noone converted his side were in front for the first time in the game. With the momentum well behind GMIT now IT Tralee were struggling to contain the Connaught side and a sin binning for IT Tralee eventually resulted in a third try of the game for GMIT as Sean Hayes touched down to move his side 23-17 in front.

Despite playing with only fourteen men for ten minutes IT Tralee could not be faltered for their desire and hunger after getting forward momentum and camping on the GMIT line they eventually got their rewards when a GMIT clearance was blocked down brilliantly by Martin Stack and the bouncing ball fell kindly for Daithi Ebbs to touch down. James Guinan saw his conversion attempt creep narrowly wide and GMIT remained in front 23-22.

GMIT would finish stronger in the game and two tries in the final ten minutes would finally kill the IT Tralee challenge with Tadgh Campbell and Ciaran Cassidy touching down and Philip Noone kicked the conversion to seal the victory for GMIT.

Abraham Afolabi, Tadgh O’Brien, Dan Keane, Ciaran Flanagan, Sean Dempsey, Tadgh Campbell, Angelo Johnson, Ciaran Cassidy, Dylan Duffy, Philip Noone, Conor Gavigan, Sean Hayes, Matt Quinn, Cormac Furey, Ross Maxwell, Brendan Pepper, Baz van Amsterdam, Justin Andrews, Cian Hornibrook, Joe Lyons, Corn Guista Bock, Jack Hurley, Neil Gunning, Colin Ledwith, Aidan Bryan, Charlie Hague, Michael Henchy.

IT Tralee
Ross Coffey, Padraig Brosnan, Martin Stack, Harry Conan, Tadgh Linehan, Martin O’Connor, Ciaran Lyons, Leigh Fitzgerald, Cathal Hennessy, James Guinan, PJ Reynolds, Tadgh O’Connell, Daithi Ebbs, Liam Bugler, Eoghan Marah, Edward Nolan, Darragh Conway, Donal Spain, Stephen Collins, Conor Lowney, Adam Grey, Arthur Brabagon, Damien Murphy.

Referee Joy Neville (Munster Referee’s Association)

Comments are closed.